Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BearShare 5.1.0 beta 25 - running expired beta versions

BearShare 5.1.0 beta 25 - running expired beta versions

They pulled all the betas and everything older than 4.7.3.
    This is something I expected and you could say I suggested it.

For now, you can get b20 from me until it expires. It has 7 days left.
    http://0.0.0.0/BSTEST510b20.exe [Expired, link is now dead.]
    There are plenty out there shared on the gnet too, so the historical collection is safe.
    Long-time stalwart of the P2P community, the Legendary Axeman fights off spammers and
    trolls at P2P forums and helps to manage the blocklists of Bluetack and various P2P programs.

Re: BearShare 5.1.0 beta 20

kilika.bounceme.net:6589 has a good history built up, although it is full of gaps

always happy to help

To keep running the BearShare 5.1.20 beta forever (it works well here), just download the attached little proggy BearStart and set your BearShare shortcut to point to that. It sets the system date back to July 1st, 2005, starts the last version of BearShare installed, and then puts the system date back to the date it was before after a few seconds.

No ini files or registry mods - completely standalone. No installation - just unzip and run.
    It reads the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\gnufile\shell\open\command" set up by the BearShare install program to find what to run. If you have custom requirements, just ask!

Enjoy!

Edit: Feb 25th 2006 - updated to version 2.0
    Later Edit #2: Note: Works with BearShare 5.1.0b25 beta as well (the preferred one)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dear Santa, please send more bandwidth. Same request as last year...

It would be nice if we could have the option to pick the copy of Beashare to run. I have the betas in another directory and when I run your proggie it starts the 502 version.

Do you want an ini file to contain the program locations to run and the dates to set them to?

eg:
    Progfile=c:\program files\bearshare 4.7\bearshare.exe
    Date=2005/05/01
    Progfile=c:\program files\bearshare 5.0.1\bearshare.exe
    Date=2005/06/01
    Progfile=c:\program files\bearshare 5.1.20\bearshare.exe
    Date=2005/07/01

You could make it more generic and use it for anything then. Even put it in the startup for Windows.

Yes I think a ini file would work. I would only need to change the program location, as the date seems ok. But for many other progams the date also would be nice.

much mahalos!

Does anyone still have a link to B20? I deleted my copy by mistake. DOH!!!

David

Search for it with BearShare. It worked for me. ;]
    Long-time stalwart of the P2P community, the Legendary Axeman fights off spammers and
    trolls at P2P forums and helps to manage the blocklists of Bluetack and various P2P programs.

Given that beta 21 is out now, does anybody still need an extended version of BearStart?

Who knows, we may need it for testing older betas and new ones.
    -Limefan913

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron.Walkhouse
    Search for it with BearShare. It worked for me. ;]
    Well, I've already tried that. All I get is Beta 13 sources. Nothing else, just Beta 13.

Any other ideas????

David

Re: Running BearShare expired beta versions - BearStart

Somebody asked me how the BearStart program I wrote should be run, so I've got an online guide here.
    • Download the program from BearStart.zip on to your computer. It is a zipped file.
    • Unzip the file inside (called BearStart.exe) and put in your BearShare folder (usually C:\Program Files\Bearshare\). (It is not critical to put it there, but it makes it easier to find later)
    • Instead of starting BearShare the usual way, double click on the BearStart program and it should start the currently installed version of BearShare for you after setting the system date back to July 1st, 2005 for a few seconds while BearShare is starting up. The system date is put back to todays date automatically after a few seconds and the program ends while BearShare thinks it is July 1st while checking the expiry date and proceeds to run normally. It recognises the correct date after a few seconds and proceeds to work as normal.
    • If you want to create a shortcut to BearStart, right click on the program file and select the create shortcut option. If you want that shortcut on your speed bar or desktop, just drag and drop it or copy and paste it there. You can always edit the current BearShare shortcuts and get them to point to BearStart instead of BearShare.
    • BearStart is designed to look for the latest installed version of BearShare on your computer and run that, regardless of how many versions you have on your system.
    • To uninstall just delete the BearStart program and any shortcuts you have made - no uninstall procedures necessary.

Good luck. Enjoy.

Handy TIP: New users of the recommended version of BearShare and BearStart should run the BearDiag troubleshooting utility to check for problems with their computer configuration, and update the 'starter' files that BearShare uses to connect to other users to more recent ones that work. Further details on where to find and how to run BearDiag can be found at https://technutopia.com/forum/announcement.php?a=11

(Edit: Vista users should also have a browse at https://technutopia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3484 and https://technutopia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5649 for some necessary changes to make things work smoothly.)

Re: Running BearShare expired beta versions

Thanks for the link. Yes, how about a "Read me" with that text, to be uploaded when someone downloads BearStart?

I had trouble with bearstart on win2k3 (looks like a missing registery entry now that I've read the thread... always rtfm >.<). Anyway I wrote a batchfile that does the same thing. sets the time back, runs bearshare then waites a few seconds for bearshare to start then sets the time back and closes. You can edit the wait time if bearshare doesn't open quick enough.

To install just copy it your bearshare install folder and make a short cut to it where ever would easiest to get to it.
    a dios le pido vs adios lepido
    (to God I pray vs goodbye sex drive)
    another subtle but important difference!

NS, you may find that the batch file you have carefully crafted (nice work there) may have commands that are not compatible with older versions of Windoze.

thanks, if anyone has trouble with it let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Anywho discovered my batch file depended on an odd partitioning setup, and didn't run right on winxp so rewrote it. This new version can be run from anywhere, but BearShare beta must installed in it's default location. It launches bearshare using the %programfiles% variable. As a result it can be run anywhere. Download it do your desktop and use it to launch bearshare beta. No console this time either it's a compiled batch file set to run in ghost mode. All you'll see when you click on it is bearshare launching. Enjoy.

Even has a snazzy icon thanks to =weboso at deviant art.

For those looking to run the last official BearShare beta release that came out in June 2005 just before the Grokster/Morpheus court decision, you need the following:
    1. Download and install the 5.1.0b20 beta from here. (Update: Recommend to run the 5.1.0.b25 version)
    2. Download BearStart from here and put in the same folder as BearShare.
    Start BearShare by using BearStart.exe instead of BearShare.exe.

That beta seems to be stable enough for everyday use. 5.1.0.b25 was the last one ever publicly released in September 2005. It seems stable as well and runs well under BearStart too.

and there is no upgrade nag either, at least here there isn't

Quick question: Does BearStart compensate for the time it takes to adjust the clock, or does it just set it back to the exact time it was at when it ran? If so, running it a lot could make your clock appear to run behind schedule...

I doubt it adjusts the seconds, just the day/month/year, and how could you
    even detect how many microseconds to compensate for anyway?

Re: BearShare 5.1.0 beta 20 - running expired beta versions

It seems to me that if you were actually enabled as an Ultrapeer as a beta tester, BearStart's reclocker causes you to end up with not being an Ultrapeer, because you've exceeded the Ultrapeer expiry date.

Is there a new code that could be inserted into BearStart (or directly in Freepeers.ini) to replace the existing expiry date shown there?

andcrs2 is offline Beta Member Lieutenant Ensign
    Surreptitiously meandering in the Nation of Texas

This am I noticed 5.1.0b025 UP had 'exited' after ~2day.
    Some kinda popup saying something had expired.
    No screenshot - absolute lack of coffee...

A

And you press on God's waiter your last dime -- as he hands you the bill.
    And you spin in the slipstream -- timeless -- unreasoning --
    paddle right out of the mess.

That happens when your disk runs completely out of space and the
    Armadillo protection layer can't write it's temporary key files.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    It seems to me that if you were actually enabled as an Ultrapeer as a beta tester, BearStart's reclocker causes you to end up with not being an Ultrapeer, because you've exceeded the Ultrapeer expiry date.

Is there a new code that could be inserted into BearStart (or directly in Freepeers.ini) to replace the existing expiry date shown there?
    Not an issue. Mine never fails in that way, and I've been using b25 since I got it.

andcrs2 is offline Beta Member Lieutenant Ensign
    Surreptitiously meandering in the Nation of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron.Walkhouse
    That happens when your disk runs completely out of space and the
    Armadillo protection layer can't write it's temporary key files.
    Interesting...the New Thing of the Day.

Still have 8GB free.
    Never seen it on smaller drives that'd fill and stop DLing.
    Must be a result of larger files...

Thx,
    A

And you press on God's waiter your last dime -- as he hands you the bill.
    And you spin in the slipstream -- timeless -- unreasoning --
    paddle right out of the mess.

BearStart stores the current date, puts the date back to July 1st, 2005, starts BearShare, waits five seconds - long enough for the date checking portion of the beta to pass, and then puts it back again to the date it stored (this is displayed on the initial screen for those that haven't run it). Unless your five seconds happens to straddle a midnight crossing, it should work without flaws. As you are connected to the Internet, the time synchronisation that happens regularly should put you back to atomic time anyway frequently. Your PC won't lose five seconds - the clock still keeps running while the date is backdated.

The expiry date of the beta appears to be hard coded inside the exe file, not a parameter that can be changed in freepeers.ini.

Been working here since July 2005...

If you're having problems with the 5 second time delay, it may be the result of your system needing more than 5 seconds to start a program - often the result of too many things running at once or too many anti-badware programs getting in the way. Run BearDiag and see what is running in the background in the resulting reports. If you need further assistance, please start a new thread in this forum, describe your problem and post the BearDiag results in full.

Quote Originally Posted by andcrs2
    Interesting...the New Thing of the Day.

Still have 8GB free.
    Never seen it on smaller drives that'd fill and stop DLing.
    Must be a result of larger files...

Thx,
    A
    The temporary keys are generated and kept in your default temp folder, which
    is usually on C:. Anything that interfered with access to those files will trigger
    a false expiration.

My BearShare downloads always go to a non-system disk. The one time it
    happened to me was when I had a download going with other software and
    left it going unattended. Since it didn't have free space detection to stop it's
    download my free space on C: eventually hit zero bytes and the Armadillo
    couldn't do it's periodic write and replace on the key. Fortunately BearShare is
    smart enough to stop when space gets low or this would be a familiar error
    message by now. ;]

Another probable cause of this error is something or somebody attempted to
    clear the temp folder while BearShare was running, and just happened to hit
    that key just as Armadillo was switching files. Odds on that are probably tiny.

Update: Following feedback and requests, BearStart v2.0 is now able to check if it has more than one instance running and only allow the first to run, and the timer has now been increased to 10 seconds before being put back to todays date for those that have a slow system.

Original Bearstart v1.0 can be found at BearStart v1.exe
    Bearstart v2.0 can be found at BearStart v2.exe
    The original attachment for Bearstart.zip earlier in this thread now has the latest version inside it.

Enjoy!

Where did all the downloads go? I was hoping to get the beta 25 version.

Search for BSTEST510b25.exe with the BearShare you have now. ;]

is it necesarey to uninstall the 5.2.1 version i was running to use the beta?

Quote Originally Posted by legion
    is it necesarey to uninstall the 5.2.1 version i was running to use the beta?

nope

cool..

thx muchly..
    and well done to you all for taking the time to share your 'know how' with the rest of us... it's people like you who make the world a better place...
    thx so much.

doonboggle is offline Alpha Member Cadet 4th Class

I'd like to say "Thanks" to Aaron ... and also comment that I wish I had known of this forum about 2 hours ago.

Tonite I sat down and decided to 'reactivate' my BS program. Have not used it now for about 6-8 months. So clicked on icon ... and upon opening, had difficulty in getting it to accept hosts. So, thinking had a problem with program, decided to reinstall.

Well, Microsoft's new 'Defender' program warned me of problem with something of 'USAVE' ... or similar ... so had Defender zap it. Then, program would not work at all.

So, decided to again reinstall ..... only this time, ALL of my versions, for last 6-7 years, had suddenly 'disappeared'. TOTALLY gone from my downloads folder.

Moral.........watch out for Defender.

But, after about an hour searching for an older version, and finding out that all Google hits went to BS main url, and not wanting their current version, found this forum and posting from Aaron that has his 5.1.020 beta version ... with utility program as well.

So, THANKS Aaron. And, in persusing the forum, also found other posters with lots more versions. So, THANKS to you also!!!!

doon

You won't have to worry about the relatively benign "Save" in the latest releases - they have swapped it for "Zango" - pervasive and nasty.

Look to see if 'Defender' hasn't quarantined your older versions, rather than deleted them.

Sticking to the 5.1 beta versions in combination with my BearStart seems to be the most effective solution for now.

Quote Originally Posted by doonboggle
    But, after about an hour searching for an older version, and finding out that all Google hits went to BS main url, and not wanting their current version, found this forum and posting from Aaron that has his 5.1.020 beta version ... with utility program as well.
    You can get beta 25 as well just change the number on that link. Or you could download it in BS as well. There's probably only minor improvements so you don't necessarily have to bother. Good to hear you're set now!

Dunno that I'd use any Microsoft apps like "Defender," just download a free third-party utility that will work better.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBandwidthPls
    You won't have to worry about the relatively benign "Save" in the latest releases - they have swapped it for "Zango" - pervasive and nasty.

Look to see if 'Defender' hasn't quarantined your older versions, rather than deleted them.

Sticking to the 5.1 beta versions in combination with my BearStart seems to be the most effective solution for now.
    'Quarantined' is not the word. ZAP is it. I had several versions in my Downloads folder, BSINSTALL, etc (with version number added), and anything with BSINSTALL++ is now GONE. Immediately checked my RECYCLE folder to see if by chance over there ... but to no avail.

They literally ... DEFENDER I believe ... erased them all.

doon

Quote Originally Posted by historic_bruno
    You can get beta 25 as well just change the number on that link. Or you could download it in BS as well. There's probably only minor improvements so you don't necessarily have to bother. Good to hear you're set now!

Dunno that I'd use any Microsoft apps like "Defender," just download a free third-party utility that will work better.

Thank you but right now, am very happy with the version that Aaron mentions in other postings ... the one with his utility program that changes the seconds ... although, I don't really understand the effect, I am A-OK at the moment; and yes, did come across the other versions posted as available for downloads. May just, to be on safe side, download them and 'hide' them on our home network ... over on wife's 'puter hard drive rather than mine.

doon

frank600 is offline Alpha Member Cadet 4th Class

tho only problem now is that bearstart starts bearflix i donět know why?
    ciao
    frank600