Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Folding @ Home: Isolated from Boinc?

Re: Folding @ Home: Isolated from Boinc?

Quote Originally Posted by iissmart View Post
    I don't know if there is a setting for this but make sure it goes into screensaver mode...don't want to waste clock cycles with graphics. Also I know there is a setting to turn off the music, this was a feature they added with the most recent update but again it just makes you fold slower.

Welcome to the team!
    Yes, I have mine going into screensaver mode. Also, I turned the music and the sound effects off. And yeah, you fold very slightly slower if you use the music and the graphics.

Thank you!
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Dilbert
    Come take a look at my "un-website"

redshirt is offline Beta Member Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome bizzy just in time to top 2 Petaflops. I am sorry I don't have those signatures any more my labVIEW PC is down.

iissmart sorry to shut mine down electircity bill was to high. I was going to wait till you passed me to start back up but it may still take awhile. Winters is over I will start it back up 24/7 I have more income to burn now. Well 24/7 until June 12 plus or minus a week then I will be playing mgs4.

I feel there will be a surge of ps3 with the $299 40 gb($399-$100Gift card) from walmart.com plus 80GB coming back bundled with MGS4.

Quote Originally Posted by redshirt View Post
    Welcome bizzy just in time to top 2 Petaflops. I am sorry I don't have those signatures any more my labVIEW PC is down.

iissmart sorry to shut mine down electircity bill was to high. I was going to wait till you passed me to start back up but it may still take awhile. Winters is over I will start it back up 24/7 I have more income to burn now. Well 24/7 until June 12 plus or minus a week then I will be playing mgs4.

I feel there will be a surge of ps3 with the $299 40 gb($399-$100Gift card) from walmart.com plus 80GB coming back bundled with MGS4.
    Heh, well according to the most recent stats it should take about 31 days for me to pass you, assuming I fold 24/7 and you never fold. I have GTAIV so that will probably be the reason I'm not folding 24/7

Some other tips to get more cpu cycles

1)Under visuals pick either space fill or the one that starts with a 'T'. I think Backbone is the worst and it's a big difference you can see NS/day drop like a rock.
    2)Use the select button to either shift everything to the right or minimize protein completelly.
    3)Remember to turn off your controller. Bluetooth uses a good many cycles.(1-2 NS/day)
    4)Advanced mode uses beta projects which have a higher payout but there is a higher risk at getting nothing due to bugs. They are also larger could take over a day to complete.

Another thing I like the third party stats better only because they are up more due to taxing of the stanford severs to process the stats(a fix is in the works). My Favorite is Extreme Overcocking but due to storage constrants they only keep the top500 teams individuals list. So to see how each individual is doing I use Kakao Stats.

BTW the new GPU2 client is out for ATI 2xxx/3xxx with Nvidia in the works if any one has a new ATI card and wants to try it.

I also use Kakao stats. One question though, do the "In 24 hrs", "In 7 days" "In 30 days" for the 3 categories reflect what was done in the past 24 hours, past 7 days, and past 30 days, or is it extrapolating and saying "In 24 hours you can expect to be here", etc..?

What's your average NS/day? I get around 150 right now but recently its been about 140.

The "In 24 hours" looks into the future taking your daliy average for 7 days I think or maybe taken from the past 30 days. The only one that look in to the past are the last colums(points).

The NS/day change project to project and even five minutes later in the same simultation. Sort of like the weather no one knows what it will be until it passes. Right now I was getting about 154 before it started to drop due to using the controller now its down to 146 using the browser to check stats. If I closed the browser, minimize everything to the right and turn off the controller it would slowlly climb back to 153 before the screensaver kicks in.

I am fasinated by how stanford is able to reach 2 Petaflops before anyone has 1 Petaflop. (Other than Japans very specfic/limited supercomputer) Now we are about 122 TFlops short of 2 PFLops at the end of June we should be some where near 2.2-2.5 PFlops.